Monday, January 30, 2012

SLOKA OF THE DAY:

Bhagavad Gita As It Is -
Chapter 10 Text 28

ayudhanam aham vajram
dhenunam asmi kamadhuk
prajanas casmi kandarpah
sarpanam asmi vasukih

ayudhanam--of all weapons; aham--I am; vajram--the thunderbolt; dhenunam--of cows; asmi--I am; kama-dhuk--the surabhi cow; prajanah--the cause for begetting children; ca--and; asmi--I am; kandarpah--Cupid; sarpanam--of serpents; asmi--I am; vasukih--Vasuki.

TRANSLATION

Of weapons I am the thunderbolt; among cows I am the surabhi. Of causes for procreation I am Kandarpa, the god of love, and of serpents I am Vasuki.

JOURNAL:

Notes on "Cupid" in Bhagavad Gita;

In the above synonyms the word "kandarpah" is translated "Cupid". Srila Prabhupada states in his purport; Kandarpa is the sex desire for presenting good sons; therefore Kandarpa is the representative of Krsna.

In another purport (BG 8.21) he describes Krishna's beauty; He is so attractive that His beauty excels that of thousands of Cupids.

No comments:

Post a Comment