Monday, August 20, 2012

SLOKA OF THE DAY:

Bhagavad Gita As It Is -
Chapter 3 Text 21

yad yad acarati sresthas
tat tad evetaro janah
sa yat pramanam kurute
lokas tad anuvartate

yat yat--whatever; acarati--he does; sresthah--a respectable leader; tat--that; tat--and that alone; eva--certainly; itarah--common; janah--person; sah--he; yat--whichever; pramanam--example; kurute--does perform; lokah--all the world; tat--that; anuvartate--follows in the footsteps.

TRANSLATION

Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues.

JOURNAL:

Srila Prabhupada ends his purport with a list of naturally "great" men; The king or the executive head of a state, the father and the school teacher are all considered to be natural leaders of the innocent people in general. All such natural leaders have a great responsibility to their dependents; therefore they must be conversant with standard books of moral and spiritual codes.

I think of my father as a great man. I feel he is great because of the way he raised me; the moral code he instilled in me. I was named for my mother's father. They say he was great. He built his own house and I have a photo of him and my grandmother holding hands and smiling. My daughter named a baby after me and, believe me, that made me feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment