Thursday, August 15, 2013

SLOKA OF THE DAY:

Bhagavad Gita As It Is -
Chapter 10 Text 33
aksaranam a-karo 'smi
dvandvah samasikasya ca
aham evaksayah kalo
dhataham visvato-mukhah

aksaranam--of letters; a-karah--the first letter; asmi--I am; dvandvah--the dual; samasikasya--of compounds; ca--and; aham--I am; eva--certainly; aksayah--eternal; kalah--time; dhata--the creator; aham--I am; visvatah-mukhah--Brahma.

TRANSLATION

Of letters I am the letter A, and among compound words I am the dual compound. I am also inexhaustible time, and of creators I am Brahma.

JOURNAL;

Srila Prabhupada begins his purport; A-kara, the first letter of the Sanskrit alphabet, is the beginning of the Vedic literature. Without a-kara, nothing can be sounded; therefore it is the beginning of sound. In Sanskrit there are also many compound words, of which the dual word, like rama-krsna, is called dvandva. In this compound, the words rama and krsna have the same form, and therefore the compound is called dual.

No comments:

Post a Comment